Saturday 17 November 2012

The Cake-Pop DIVA is Back.....

 Making Cake-Pops into Bite Sized Cake Couture





Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's soo good to be back and able to share my cake popping adventures with you all. As some of you know I have recently gone solo with my cake-pop business, and I could not be happier. I am ready to get this chapter of my life underway and I want to share it with you all!

My hope is to be able to motivate and inspire others with my confectionery creations. You can make your cake pops as basic or as chic as you want, either way it's really about having fun as you create them. Cake pops can be daunting to even those that have baked and created amazing works of art out of cake, but rest assured that with practice and a LOT of patience you too can create magical balls of yummy goodness on a stick.

I actually just finished working on some amazing Alice in Wonderland themed cake pops for a fundraiser and I have to say that the finished product is even cuter than I had imagined.  The other thing the client wanted was that I make everything as girly and pink as possible.  This was sounding better and better by the minute, cause you all know I love anything pink and anything that challenges me.

They asked me if I could create three characters/objects from the show, and when I asked the client which ones they had chosen, I was honestly a little surprised by their choices. Instead of the main characters like Alice, the White Rabbit or the Queen of Hearts, I was asked to create the Mad Hatter's top-hat, the White Rabbit's pocket watch, and the teapots.

Most of my work comes from objects or characters we see on a daily basis, so I am able to just make them without too much research, but these were going to be a little different . I was able to draft some rough sketches of how I wanted them to be made, but in the end I changed a few things as I went along.


I began with the Mad Hatter's top-hat and found I really struggled with what I could use for the base and brim of the hat. I finally decided on dying some fondant pink and them matching my candy melts so the shades would match perfectly.  I also dyed some fondant lime green to use and the band of fabric that wraps around the base of the hat to add an accent. The thing about working with fondant is that you have to keep it covered so that is doesn't dry out on you. I would cut my strips and place it on wax paper, then cover it with plastic wrap. I also used white fondant to create the hat tag you see on the Mad Hatter  top hat using some black candy melts I drew on the 10/6 with a skewer. I think the numbers refer to the size of ones head...either way it was the perfect touch needed to bring his hat to life, otherwise it would just be another top-hat!

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at. ~Mad Hatter


The Pièce de Résistance was a little white sugar flower daisy added to the top of the hat. I added this as their was a lot of pink happening and I felt it just softened it a little. I also sprinkled a little pink glitter dust to the finished product just to kick it up a notch for the Diva's attending the fundraiser.

"No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly 2 days slow." ~Mad Hatter

Be Sure to pop by soon as I will be sharing a step by step tutorial on how you can also make the Mad Hatter's top-hat! You can also see more photos by visiting my Facebook page Cake-Pop Passionista.

1 comment: